Contracts Manager Colorado Springs, CO
The Contracts Manager develops strategy and leads negotiations on major/complex programs; either as individual contributor or as team leader and is actively involved in overall contractual support; review, drafting, negotiation flow-down and interpretation of T&Cs and other contractual documents. He/She identifies and mitigates risks connected with non-standard conditions and customer changes in proposed contractual documents; seeks to discover unstated needs and expectations and communicates concerns and issues clearly to the organization. The Contracts Manager will maximize profit and cash flow while minimizing risk in the negotiation of contracts. Advises internal stakeholders concerning legal and contractual requirements and enforces company objectives and standards in coordination with business leadership. He/She develops and maintains strong working relationships primarily with customers and internal stakeholders ensuring provision of top-class service and high customer satisfaction. The Contracts Manager champions integrity and ethical behavior and is alert to potentially difficult situations and proactively provides guidance as needed. He/She will mentor contract management personnel in negotiation techniques and strategies.
The Contracts Manager duties include management and oversight of all existing and proposed contract agreements, providing active compliance evaluation of requirements and federal regulations, and implementation of corrective action when required. He/She will manage, lead and provide guidance to the Contracts Department.
Essential Job Functions
Drafting, evaluation, negotiation and execution of contracts, subcontracts and modifications to contracts for government programs and the Company.
Provides analysis and guidance on all aspects of the contract life cycle inclusive of language, interpretation, terms and conditions, legal and cost implications.
Participates in negotiations with existing or prospective customers to establish basic cost and performance guidelines.
Assists other department by providing contracts expertise and supports all Government audits (DCMC, SBA, CPSR’s, and DCAA) as required.
Maintains contact and dialog with POCs of partner organizations inclusive of discussion of new business opportunities under development (Pre-Award Teammates).
Prepare and issue NDAs, TAs and CA’s,
Oversee the contract change process, develop strategies for negotiation in alignment with company objectives and lead negotiations for complex contracts.
Stay abreast of new laws and proposed legislation; interpret and present the potential impact on current and future contracts to Senior Management.
Serve as the point of contact for customers on contractual matters. Act as contractual liaison between company employees and customers, ensuring timely review and approval/reconciliation of variations.
Ensure that signed contracts are communicated to all relevant parties to provide contract visibility and awareness, interpretation to support implementation.
Monitor transaction compliance (milestones, deliverables, invoicing, funding etc.). Provide regular feedback of metrics to Senior Management, Program Managers, Accounting and Finance, and other departments as necessary.
Determine applicability of contract clauses and special provisions.
Analysis and review of awarded contracts.
Review of proposal documents to ensure contractual correctness and compliance with regulations, directives, laws, statutes, and contracting policies.
Determine of appropriate contracting methods and contract types.
Develop negotiation strategies and conduct negotiations of complex proposals, contracts and modifications.
Supervise and mentor contracts department personnel.
Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree required in the following or related fields: accounting, business, finance, law, contracts, purchasing, economics, industrial management, marketing, quantitative methods, or organization and management. Master’s degree preferred.
- Relevant certifications (CPCM, CFCM, and/or NCMA) preferred.
- 5+ years of broad and increasingly more difficult experience in the field of Contracts
- Management or Sub-Contracts Management.
- Demonstrated Experience with FAR/DFAR and Gov’t/Commercial contracting
- Experience with Proposals, Teaming Agreements, Non-Disclosure Agreements
- Understanding of various types of Contracts to include FFP, CPFF/AF and T&M, etc.
- Knowledgeable of prescribed procedures established to control Government property, export control, and security matters.
- Knowledgeable of purchasing, subcontracting and contracts.
- Knowledge of professional service contracts and leases
- Knowledge of IDIQ contracts inclusive of an understanding of contract structure, call plans, and tracking of changes. Effective communication/dialog with Customers and Government POCs is required.
- Familiarity with administration of Wage Determination (WD) Type Contracts issued under the Service Contract Act (SCA).
- Experience with complex contract terminations and claims.
- Excellent analytical, negotiation and communication skills are required, along with working knowledge of FAR, DFAR, TINA, and international contracting/subcontracting practices. Demonstrated ability to aggressively negotiate contracts is required. Must be a proven leader with outstanding interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to interact effectively with Senior Management and have a successful track record in strategic thinking and government contract negotiation and administration.
- Possess a clear understanding of ITAR requirements.
- Knowledge and ability to interpret Government phrases and the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR), demonstrates initiative to research what is not known or understood.
- Demonstrate ability to settle disputes regarding contract interpretation, conditions or compliance with legal requirements.
- Ability to define Requirements of Solicitation from the Recruiting department.
- Expertise in analysis of terms and conditions of government and contract/subcontract documents is required.
- Must be proficient in Excel, MS Word, and Power Point.
- Ability to draft moderate to complex, non-routine contractual instruments.
- Excellent knowledge of corporate policies and procedures, coupled with ability to identify required improvement to established policies.
- Working to expert knowledge of contracting concepts, Uniform Commercial Code, applicable public contract acquisition law and regulations, and applicable international contract law.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Good presentation, leadership and team-building skills.
- Use of independent judgment and creativity applied to resolution of contract issues.
- Excellent internal and external negotiation skills.
- Superior communications skills (both oral and written); ability to anticipate informational needs of diverse audiences and tailor communications appropriately.
- Integrity and strong focus on compliance with internal standards and policies: ability to proactively provide guidance to contract management personnel or internal customers as needed.
- Ability to connect facts, experience and observations to draw conclusions not readily apparent to others; ability to balance two seemingly conflicting goals and do well at both.
- Ability to prioritize work and coordinate multiple tasks within time constraints.
- Demonstrated ability to influence and deal tactfully and confidentially with internal and external customers at all organizational levels in a dynamic environment.
- Personality that questions the status quo and a demonstrated strong desire to win.
- Proven leadership skills; ability to coach, develop and motivate at both an individual and team level.
- Ability to identify and implement process improvements.
- Working knowledge of ISO procedures for contracts, subcontracts, and proposals is highly desired.
- Working conditions are normal for an office environment.
- May require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
- Secret clearance or higher preferred, but not required